Belt promotions and Belt Rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ( BJJ )
In this Podcast we discuss Belt Rank and Belt Promotions in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
A short bio of some of the people speaking are:
Former DI wrestler at Lehigh U., Renzo Gracie Black Belt, former competitor in amateur MMA and black belt adult IBJJF Jiu Jitsu competitions, head jiu jitsu instructor at Stout Training Pittsburgh -Team Renzo Gracie.
Former highschool wrestling coach, MMA Fighter (7-2 amateur, 7-2 pro as of 2016), brown belt in BJJ.
Amateur MMA fighter, blue belt in jiu jitsu, former JC wrestler.
Grappling competitor, purple belt in bjj, former high school wrestling standout.
Some of the specifics include:
- Getting advice from upper belts who are not formally in a teaching role. 1:00
- How Mike felt differently when he got promoted to purple vs when he got Brown. 3:00
- With rise of popularity of MMA and no-gi grappling does belt promotion and belt rank still matter?6:30
- Skill levels of any given belt rank now in 2016 vs six or eight years ago. 11:30
- Positive aspects of Belt rank for competitors and non-competitors
- Biggest misconception or problem with student about belt rank. 18:25
- criteria for specific promotions at Stout Training – Team Renzo Gracie 27:00
- Warren’s belt promotions stories. 39:00
- Warren’s black belt and the promotions in 2010 in NYC. 41:45
- Mike’s closing point of how special belt promotions can be. 49:00